Tuesday, September 2, 2008

People

Having praised the beauties of Ann Arbor, I think it’s time a few words were also said about the people over here. Where to start? To say that I’ve never encountered a nicer and more helpful bunch is a good way of introduction as we all as summing up.

Take for instance Saturday. Remember? That was the day when the big, err, lost, game was on. There were hardly any people in the streets. Yet, crossing at traffic lights, I was suddenly greeted and addressed by a stranded pedestrian. “Why aren’t you at the game?” “Because I’ve never realized there was going to be a game today. And besides, I’ve just arrived and I’m settling down a bit. How come you aren’t at the game?” “Oh, I’ve already had enough. So where are you heading to?” “Michigan League.” And so on and so forth. Before we reached the place he was heading to, I’d learnt that he liked hiking, had been to India for a year and was a vegetarian. Oh yeah, and he also invited me to his friends’ barbecue on Monday.

This is just a small demonstration of the ease with which people communicate over here. They might not have any intentions of becoming your friends but at the same time they will go out of their ways to show you that they really care about what you have to say and if you are having any difficulties, they are so willing to help.

Take today, for example. “Jana, you play the cello, right? And so how’s it going? Do you have the instrument yet?” “Hm. No?” “Ok, so I finish here at five and then I’ll take you to the rental office. Let me just check with them what their opening hours are.” And the result? There’s one brand new cello standing in the corner of my humbly equipped room. My supervisor’s assistant is indeed such a sweet lady! A mere side note: only upon hugging the instrument did I realize how much I’ve been missing the feel and sound of it.

To many of you the above described might seem completely ordinary, but coming from the very midst of grumbling Czech culture, one cannot but be pleasantly surprised.

But there’s no need to get fooled. There’s still a long way to go between such friendly help and real friendship. The point I’m trying to get across is that the beginnings of the said friendship are so much easier and more pleasant than any awkwardness experienced elsewhere.

I’m more than convinced that the awkwardness is bound to come. As well as the other negative aspects of social communication. But it’s so reassuring to know there are always going to be people around who will smile at you and if in need be help you.

I was setting up my bank account today. Although I was feeling as close to being an idiot as I could get, the lady was incredibly patient with me. Kept explaining and explaining and explaining. Explaining and answering. Even the most stupid questions like whether my check book would be sent to my Czech or American address. Stupid, I know. I’ve realized that the moment I said that. But still, I got my answer and a beautiful smile on top of that.

Before I finish my today’s apotheosis, let me draw a picture for you. This time it’s not the people who I’m depicting but the place again. Ann Arbor. Haze-less blue sky; it’s not a blue of an ocean or of a flower in the mountains. It’s a blue only layers upon layers of air can conjure up. Only now and then the blue thickness is interrupted by streaks of white clouds (“A day when you’re watching the sun in the sky / The clouds, so white, so slow, drifting by” – these are not my words and I sincerely hope that the person whose they are doesn’t mind me borrowing them, as they so much dovetail with what I’m writing about). The sun is shining, shining hot, burning, and the sky is breathtakingly beautiful.

There’s only one other element in the picture competing for the viewer’s attention. That is the land. The land covered in yellow grass. Although yellow is associated with decay, the scenery around doesn’t seem decaying to the viewer’s eyes. Her eyes are simply dazzled by the two colors, yellow and blue, so different yet in a complete harmony now, as if reaching to one another at the horizon. What would happen if they were to touch? If they were to blend, lose their selves and become one? They would give birth to green. Color of spring, of life. Yellow and blue are good colors. Nice colors. I’m happy to be at the university which has these two in its emblem. And in a town which abounds in them wherever one looks.

No comments: